One of the most popular questions (and favorite questions) I'm asked is, "what advice would you give to someone who wants to start something like you did?"
Here are my answers:
- Find your passion.
- Be curious and explore around you. Whether you’re starting a company or a charity, find a gap or a need that you want to fill. If you find something that fuels your fire, no obstacle will be too big to conquer and working won’t feel like working. No matter how many times I donate a headband to a girl in the hospital, seeing her face light up makes me melt every time. All the long hours and hard work build up to that moment when you see your dreams come to life.
- Go for it and don’t look back!
- I started my company in college when I was just about to turn 20. Now, one year later, I look back and am so grateful that I had the courage and support to just pour everything I had and make Headbands of Hope what it is today. If I started the company and let myself get consumed with doubts, then my hesitations would have turned detrimental to my company.
- Enjoy the moment.
- Running your own organization comes with a lot of responsibility that can be stressful. It’s important to stay on top of your work, but don’t forget to enjoy the good moments, whether it’s your first sale or a letter from a fan. Take a moment every day to absorb what you’re doing and the difference you’re making. Those stresses won’t seem so big anymore!
- Choose to shine.
- For any of this to happen, you have to make the choice to do something great. Understand that building something, no matter what it is, is a process. Find it in your heart to step outside your comfort zone and build an organization that changes people’s lives. Who knows, one day maybe you’ll be asked to give advice for aspiring entrepreneurs!
Thank you all for your support and making Headbands of Hope possible. Together, we can conquer kid's cancer...one headband at a time!